Tips For Cleaning Your Home After Water Damage
Water in unwanted places in your home can be so unpleasant and also cause a lot of damage. But if you act swiftly you may still be able to salvage the situation and save some of your prized assets. Time is of the essence in situations like this, because every passing second means increase in the damages inflicted on your property. If you experience flooding in your home, contact Lemarg today for the most reliable flood damage restoration service.
Do not treat flood water nonchalantly; they have the propensity to wreak havoc. Not even mold or damp wall in your basement should be treated lightly. Moulds are capable of ruining the walls and carpets in your home, and can cause health problems like asthma and other respiratory ailments. It is therefore crucial that you prevent them. In the event of a flooding, it is important to call your insurance company . In addition to calling your insurance company, here are a few things you can do to salvage the situation;
- Disconnect power from the main supply, remove furniture and moveable items immediately, and unplug electronics too. The faster you get items out of the water the better for you. By so doing, you might have save a few items from damage. Start by shutting off electric supply to the affected area before moving the items, unplugging electronics, next remove smaller items and the carpet as quick as you can. The under padding may already be damaged but you can still save the carpet eventually.
- Get rid of the water! There are a number of ways you can go about this, if you do not have power or you are worried about smaller items, go the old fashioned way by using a mop stick or a towel to soak up as much water as you can. You can empty them into your sewers or any permeable soil around. Be sure to avoid connecting electrical equipments such as e, wet vacuum or dryer close to the wet area. Electricity and water combine together can be disastrous leading to electric shock! If the flood is overwhelming, consider using a sump-pump to help you remove the water, so as to prevent mould growth.
- Dry out the affected area. If you have successfully gotten rid of the water, you should let the affected area dry out properly. Use a fan to dehumidify the area. Open up the windows and allow for proper ventilation. It is crucial that the area is dried quickly. If your finished basement is affected, remove parts of the affected dry wall to prevent mould and mildew from building up.
- Get rid of damaged items responsibly. Do not dump all the damaged items in your trash bin. Instead take time to sort out items that can be recycled like plastics, electronics, glasses and the likes and take them to the appropriate recycle centre in your locale or put them in the correct dispose bag or dumpster.