It happens every year, or at least it should, and the spring clean is the time to rid the home of the dust, dirt and grime that accumulates. A typical family home with 3 or 4 bedrooms would be a weekend project, and with careful planning, it is possible to complete the job without too much heavy lifting. This is an activity for the whole family, and if you would like an overview on how best to carry out the major clean, here are some important points to bear in mind.
- Formulate a plan – This is best done on a Sunday afternoon, and it wouldn’t hurt to have all the family members present. The first thing to decide is the date of the spring clean, and, as the name suggests, a spring clean is best done in the spring months, although any time works if there is a need.
- Hire a Skip – You will be amazed at how much junk the family accumulates over a few years, so be prepared and have a suitable sized skip delivered to your home on the morning of the operation. If you live in Norfolk, Baco Compak are the people to contact, as they have a wide range of skips for hire, at cheap prices, and they can even recycle most of the unwanted items, which is very eco-friendly.
- Essential Equipment – A houseclean requires the right tools and materials, which would typically include buckets, mops, brooms and dustpans, dusters, and cleaning products. You will need lots of old cotton T shirts, which can be cut up into small squares, as they are ideal for glass cleaning and general wiping. Blankets are ideal for covering furniture, and don’t forget your toolkit, as this will always come in handy.
- Top to Bottom – Always start a room at the very top, which would be the ceiling, of course, and after you have covered the furniture and the floor with blankets, use a soft brush to sweep the ceiling, and make sure you remove all the cobwebs in the corners. Dust the walls, not forgetting the tops of picture frames and doors, and when the dust has settled, you can remove the blankets and clean the interior windows with glass cleaner and a dry cloth.
- Enlist the Family – Choose a suitably dry weekend and if each family member does their own bedroom, then you can all help with the living room and kitchen. There should be adequate materials for multiple use, and with a never ending supply of bin bags, you can slowly fill the skip with unwanted items. Curtains and blinds might need to be removed for the cleaning, and they are best taken outside for a good shake, or if possible, washed.
Choosing the right weekend is quite a challenge, as the British weather is so unpredictable, but if you get that right and have a few helpers, the job should be over by Sunday evening, and you can celebrate by ordering a pizza.