The building and construction industry would not exist without solid foundations, literally! Even before the first walls of a building go up, the foundations must be solid and structurally sound. They must extend into the ground and be able to strengthen the building when it is complete. Without solid foundations that have been professionally installed, a building will not only be subject to movement and cracking, but would also be considered dangerous.
There are times when the foundations of a building deteriorate and are damaged. Some reasons for this include the following:
- When there has been recent building or excavation activity nearby, the structural integrity of the foundations of other buildings in the area can be compromised as the ground shifts.
- In some cases, the foundations of a building might be inferior and begin to deteriorate, meaning that they need to be repaired or replaced.
- The foundations of older buildings are often in a state where they need underpinning because of the shifting and movement of soil over time due to nearby building or construction activity, or the penetration of rainwater or other groundwater causing a change in soil conditions.
The Importance of Underpinning
When the foundations of a building are in a state of disrepair, professional underpinning is required. There are many reliable and reputable services, including http://belowground.co.uk/, that will assess the condition of the building and the foundations and then offer a solution that typically involves underpinning.
If a building is not underpinned and has foundations that are not optimal, the following problems may occur:
- Cracking: As the foundations continue to move and deteriorate, sections of the building may shift over time, causing cracks in walls and damage to other structures. Over time, this may be very costly to fix.
- Leaking: As cracks in the walls and foundations appear, they may let in ground water or rainwater. These cracks may also become an entry point for vermin or insect infestations. Water and moisture that is leaking into wall cavities and parts of the home may cause other problems such as fungal growth, mould growth and salt damp.
You will also require piling and underpinning services if you want to add a new storey to your home, or even add an additional room or structure to your existing home. In a case like this, a professional team will need to assess the state of existing foundations, the structural integrity of the building, and the possibility of underpinning for additional strength or the use of piling to create new foundations.
Calling the Professionals to Fix Your Foundations
Underpinning is a specialised service that reinforces existing foundations when they are deemed to be damaged. It is important to look for the tell-tale signs of a change in soil conditions, including cracks in exterior and interior walls, so as to be aware of any potential damage to the foundations of the building.
Reliable and reputable underpinning services typically have a wide range of experience, including commercial, industrial and domestic. The best services in this area provide obligation free quotes and multi-year guarantees.