Finding a great builder is perhaps the most important decision that you will make for your custom home project. Choosing someone with the knowledge to make great recommendations in addition to understanding and seeing your home’s vision can be difficult and hard to find.
If you’re searching for builders in BR6, consider these key tips to find the builder who’s right for you.
- Get Referrals. Talk to family or friends who have recently had building work done. Be sure to inquire on what they did or did not enjoy about the builder’s working style. You may even get a chance to see some completed work!
- Verify the Badge. Recent cases have arisen in which builders have fraudulently claimed membership with trade associations. Make sure to verify that they are actually who they say they are in addition to holding the appropriate credentials.
- Check References. Contact people who have been involved with the builder’s recent projects. Find out how happy they were with the quality of work provided in addition to the builder’s conduct.
- Get More Than One Quote. It’s important to get details on the job provided in writing, such as what’s included and what’s not. This should include site maintenance, materials, and clearances. Talk to more than one contractor and compare their suggestions.
- Validate Insurance. Many jobs require that the builder or contractors hold the correct insurance in case of damage or injury. Find out who is responsible for supplying these insurance policies and obtain a copy for your records.
- Get it in Writing. In regards to home construction, the more thorough, the better. Your contract should detail the start and end dates, cost of labour, cost of materials, payment plans, lavatory arrangements, cleanup and disposal of waste materials, payment schedule, and working hours.
- Avoid Cash up Front. Cash deposits are not typically needed up front unless there is a need for specially requested materials.