Damp is a problem commonly occurring in many households and leading to various unfavourable effects, such as spots on walls, discolouration, rotting of surface etc. Fortunately, many reputable damp proofing Manchester service providers are available, who can employ the best method to help you get rid of this nagging issue. Some of these commonly used methods are listed below.
- Damp proofing course: This process works by applying a layer of damp proofing course in between the structure and dampness. Different materials which can be used for this purpose include cement concrete, plastic sheets, metal sheets, mastic asphalt etc. To make this damp proofing method effective, keeping in mind a few important things is crucial. Such as, the entire width of the wall should be covered, the mortar surface should be levelled and there should be least number of joints.
- Construction of cavity wall: Another effective method for preventing damp is constructing a cavity wall. In simple words, an outer wall is constructed to shield the main wall, where a cavity is left between both the walls. This cavity helps in preventing the dampness from being visible on the outer wall, thus giving a damp free and clean appearance to the structure.
- Treatment of surface: This damp proofing method is more preferred in cases where the presence of damp is external. It is important to know that the dampness travels through pores of the material which has been used for finishing the wall. By filling up these pores with the help of different materials, such as potassium or sodium silicates and magnesium or aluminium sulphates, the entry of moisture into pores is restricted. Also known as water repelling solutions, these can also be sprayed on the exposed wall.
- Integral treatment: By adding water proof compounds into concrete mixer, the walls are made impermeable; thus keeping the dampness at bay. Special care should be taken to mix the right quantity of these compounds, as it should be accurate to provide desired level of protection. Chalk, flutter earth and talc, along with some chemical compounds, such as calcium chloride and aluminium sulphate, are some preferable options for integral treatment of dampness.
- Pressure grouting: In this simple and effective method, pressure is applied on cement grout to force it into any voids or cracks that might be present in the ground or on the wall. As the moisture penetration is restricted through this procedure, it helps in limiting or stopping the leakage of groundwater, which if not controlled properly begins to appear on the structure in the form of dampness.
- Guniting: Similar to the method mentioned above, guniting refers to the application of a mixture made by combining water and cement on the wall or surface. However, in this procedure the mixture is usually applied with the help of equipment called cement gun. Due to the pressure applied in this treatment, it leads to better adhesion and makes the surface water proof.
Getting rid of dampness is easy, get in touch with the best damp proofing Manchester company, capable of delivering effective and reliable service.